Friday, January 30, 2009

Sony Digital Alpha 900

When the Digital Alpha 900 was released in KL late 2008 I was privileged to be asked in as a guest speaker for the event. I spent several weeks honing a presentation on wedding photography that I had no real chance to get through as there were many questions from the floor.

I hope to got through these questions and my presentation here over the next few weeks. For those that tune in, let me know I am not typing to thin air ;-)

As for the Alpha. I got my hands on it before the release. All I can say is, WOW! Many people were surprised by this camera. Sony had done a great job in keeping the lid on it, and many of us had "forgotten" Minolta's heritage in the camera industry.

The first real autofocus SLR was a Minolta. When introduced, their multi flash control system was years a head of anything from Canon or Nikon. The D7 DSLR was very appealing to me with its retro styling, manly control knobs and overall feel. Poor marketing and pricing policies relegated Minolta to an also ran until Sony took over the camera division.

Whilst unlikely to pull Canons and Nikons from the hands of the faithful, this new camera really blew people away. It out resolved the only other +20Mp camera on the market, for USD5,000 less! That's a lot of change to throw into Carl Zeiss lenses!

Canon users likely have Sony to thank for the pricing of the 5DMk2. Nikon users are just annoyed at Nikons D3x strategy....there is a dead duck camera. Likely the first dim wit move Nikon has made in the past 2 years.

Sony also made some good moves on its lens range, by dropping the pricing on a lot of them to match the competition. The room was a live with the buzz from this. Exciting times for Sony users!

If they ever want to sponsor me, I am open :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment